Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's Official: May 1, 2010 - I will be competing in Ironman St George

I did it. I just signed up this morning for the Ironman. I signed up for Ironman St George in Southern Utah. I had heard a bit of buzz about it through friends and on the internet, and I had been thinking about it for a couple of weeks. Since I was 12 years old I have wanted to do this event. I wanted to do an Ironman before I ever even thought about doing a marathon. And so when I found about this new event in Utah, I was extremely excited. So far, I believe Southern Utah is the most beautiful place, aside from Kona, of course, that Ford Ironman has chosen to hold an event. Plus, the date, May 1, 2010, is right before my 27th birthday. I just had a lot of positive, driving-forward and invigorating-type feelings associated with this particular race. So yesterday I found out that it was officially announced. When I read the article, I started to tweak out a bit. My insides were alight. And then when I found out that online registration was open for the inaugural event, I started getting even more nervous. It was all I could think about. I got the exact same feeling that I got when I first read about the Austin Marathon years ago. The moment I read about it, I knew I wanted to do it. I was sure, 100%. Back then, I felt a very poignant mixture of fear, joy and excitement. Today, I felt the same sheer, pure joy was flowing through me as I thought about signing up for this Ironman. I called my mom, and she asked a lot of details about the distances, the nutrition, the training. I stopped her and I was like “Mom, I’m not asking you if you think I can do it. I’m asking if I have your support.” And of course, she said yes. And she said “I think it’s a good idea, but don’t quote me saying that.” I laughed, remembering I had a similar conversation with her the day I decided to do the marathon. And then I said “Mom, I’m going to remember you saying that forever.” This morning, I woke up, hopped online, and signed up for the IRONMAN. I’m doing the Ironman.

2.4 miles swimming

112 miles biking

26.2 miles running

May 1, 2010

I am exhilarated. I just took the first step of many, many more on this journey.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.