Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Keep Calm and Carry On: My New Cycling Mantra


Keep Calm and Carry On
Originally uploaded by Ms.walking on sunshine.

I'm embarking on something that I've wanted to do for almost a year on Saturday. A 50 mile, half century ride. It will be Fizgig and my longest ride yet, and both of us are all tuned up and excited. Fizgig recently enjoyed an awesome tune-up from Beto, the owner of Pure Austin. He kindly gave her drive-train a nice cleaning and she shifts better than ever! I'm so excited for Saturday. My body feels ready.

This photo, "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON" is going to be in my head for most of the ride. It's my new riding mantra. I've planned my fueling, my gear, and most importantly my sunscreen application and I know I'll be ready to go this Saturday for Bastrop's famous Pedal Thru the Pines . I will be embarking on this long awaited journey with a few of my ride radar buds and babes - Jim, Liz, and Rebecca. I might also be riding with a few friends from an Austin Cycling Association ride. My nerves are charged with excitement, I could not be more ready to take on this 50 mile benchmark goal on the road to bigger and better goals. I've been wanting to ride this far for over a year and finally I am doing it! I can almost taste victory, and victory certainly tastes sweet. Like goo. I will crack at it this weekend and update on how it all goes.

Reminder to self: When times get tough at mile 38 and 45 of this half century ride, I need to just breathe out and in deeply, take a swig of water or a drop of goo and KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.

"Life is such win!" ~Janet K

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:23 AM, March 05, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a 50-mile bike is much easier and less stressful to your body than a marathon.

    Just like a marathon, break it down into manageable chunks and it becomes much easier. Don't get caught up in the sprints away from the start, use the first 10-miles to warm-up and find a comfortable speed.

    Miles 10-20, 20-30 you can go through without taking too much time at rest stops, just remember to drink plenty, you sweat more than you think on a bike, the wind drys much of it; figure a minimum of 3x 750ml bottles for the 50-mile ride, probably more! 30-40 treat as a recovery session, break, eat, spin if possible, then when you get to 40-50 you can go as best you can, fast if you can, otherwise maintain you recovery pace, don't forget to drink during this section to, perhaps a carb/protein mix that will help post ride recovery!

    Good luck!!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, March 05, 2009, Blogger Unknown said…

    love you so hard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.