Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Monday, December 25, 2006

Do you love turtles? Try my Grandma's Holiday Turtle Cookie Recipe! I did! And they turned out GREAT! (Pictures to come)

Today, Christmas day, I decided to honor my grandmother who passed away after Thanksgiving this year by making her traditional Turtle cookie recipe. Considering turtles are just about my favorite animal, I had a chocolate infused blast making them. Pictures are coming soon, I promise!

A Version of My Grandma Betty's Turtle Cookies Recipe

Ready in: 2 Hours

Ingredients:
***Cookies***
1/2 cup brown sugar loosely packed
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 egg for the batter
1 egg, separated for the pecans
1 1/2 cup All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecan halves, split lengthwise

***Frosting***
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons soy milk
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
In large bowl, combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, maple flavor, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk; beat well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate about 1 hour for easier handling. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheets. Arrange pecan pieces in groups of 5 on greased cookie sheets to resemble head and legs of turtle. In small bowl, beat egg white. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip bottoms in beaten egg white; press lightly onto pecans. (Tips of pecans should show). Bake at 350 F. for 7-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled. In small saucepan, combine chocolate chips, milk and 1 tablespoon margarine; cook over low heat or in microwave, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar (small amounts at a time). If necessary, add additional powdered sugar for desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Let frosting set before storing. Store in tightly covered container.
This recipe for Turtle Cookies serves/makes 3.5 dozen, a little less if you are Mercedes.



ALSO! EXTRA! EXTRA!!
Pictures from my traditional Italian ravioli-making last night, on Christmas Eve are coming! Yay!

Current book I'm reading: The one I'm writing.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.