Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Monday, May 16, 2005

Dirty, dirty, dirty from camping in UTAH!

Moab Map

We visited the trendy destination spot of Moab just for a gander at people's propensity to it. My friend Andy and I were so dirty from camping and hiking over the few days we were there-we really did get some dirty looks from the trendy Moabites and tourists. Trust me, this dirt was not clean!

Yes the colors are this vibrant at sunset

We camped in this area, Fisher Towers, which is about 25-30 miles out of Moab. Yes, the colors are this vibrant when the sun goes down in Utah. And no, I didn't take any of these photos. I wish I had!

Colorado river where I swam

This is the road that we traveled along to get to Fisher Towers. We met 2 other guys who had saved us a sweet, peaceful, secluded, and SHADY campsite. Shade is rare and coveted in this area, so we were quite grateful for the early departure of the campers that saved our site.

The river in the above picture is actually very calm. Due to spring runoff the current of the Colorado River when I was there was fairly rough and a bit scary if one ventured even a quater of the way into the middle of the river. Frightfully enough, a fellow camper threatened to throw me into this freezing cold river numerous times. I was able to thwart his attempts every single time. We did swim in the ~55 degree water of the Colorado River to cool off after our hike to Fisher Towers, though, and it felt great. It took about 2 minutes to get used to the water but once you did it was amazing and refreshing. My lungs were about to burst with the power of the cold water when I first got in, it was a good thing I was with some attractive, scantily clad boys that could warm me up!! I know you wish I could prove that part, don't you?

I want to be back in Utah now. I am dreaming that I am again amongst the red rocks, rusty colored dust, vibrant wildflowers and warm sun of Utah as I type this. It is a lovely place to recreate yourself and for recreation, of course. Especially when you're surrounded by cool young men. This trip was great, I hope to take more soon! Right now I'm going to go rollerblading in the plain old but beautiful city of Boulder, Colorado.

"The loss of wealth is loss of dirt,
As sages in all times assert;
The happy man's without a shirt." ~John Heywood (1497?–1580?) from "Be Merry Friends"

3 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Jessie K. said…

    glad you had fun! kinda makes me miss the red rocks, monuments, and mesas of home though... especially all the rafting and whatnot, sigh... lol. next time i head down that way you should come with!

     
  • At 6:43 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    that picture is so awesome... but anyway I am sooo happy that you had fun and were able to get outta this town for a while. We all need times like that. Love up the time that we have though cause it runs short once we have to get real jobs... eh we'll be ok though. Forever your friend.

     
  • At 8:27 AM, May 17, 2005, Blogger J said…

    its so beautiful, like you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.