Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Friday, May 06, 2005

Graduation from the University of Colorado at Boulder


Me at English Graduation, originally uploaded by Bee-Butt.

So happy to be done! And at the last ceremony!!! Onto the festivities of the evening!!!


Mom and I at English Graduation

My mom is amazing! Isn't she beautiful! My parents are so happy!! I am too!!!


Official Thesis Award
Pictured above is the official award that they called me up to the stage for. My fellow thesis writing friend, Matt, who wrote about Tom Wolffe, told me something extremely memorable as I walked up to recieve the award here. He stopped me as I walked up and said:
"Don't look so nervous, Mercedes! You look great, and we both are the envy of the entire English Department for writing these"

I'm not so sure how true any of that is, but it was nice nonetheless!!

P.S. The speech given by the head of the English Department, Katherine Eggert, was amazing. Her conclusion was brilliant, I hope to be like her someday. Using William Carlos Williams to conclude was brilliant; she is my idol.

I risked what I had to do,
therefore to prove
that we love each other
while my very bones sweated
that I could not cry to you
in the act.
Of asphodel, that greeny flower,
I come, my sweet,
to sing to you!
My heart rouses
thinking to bring you news
of something
that concerns you
and concerns many men. Look at
what passes for the new.
You will not find it there but in
despised poems.
It is difficult
to get the news from poems
yet men die miserably every day
for lack
of what is found there.
Hear me out
for I too am concerned
and every man
who wants to die at peace in his bed
besides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.