Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Monday, June 20, 2005

"Outdoor bums" live by the rock! I proclaim myself one as of today!

So, living in Boulder definitely has its perks, and I must say I love it most of the time. I will miss this place terribly when I leave. The mesh of urban life, the bars, and then the looming MOUNTAINS that call to me every day "come hike me, please!!" are unmatchable in my mind. Not to mention the people. Heaven, love 'em!

So I read this article yesterday in the Daily Camera, the local Boulder paper. Now I have this surge of energy that is drawing me towards Argentina. I want to climb Aconcagua, the tallest mountain in the Western Hemisphere in Argentina. The guy in this article did...And wow, I have to say I admire him. It is quite a goal, I know...But wouldn't it be amazing to do? What an accomplishment.
Click for the article that inspired the "outdoor bum" proclamation and the Argentina trek...

So, after reading that article, I would have to say I'm definitely an "outdoor bum" who schedules work around climbing and hiking. I feel this:

"Whether they center work around their passions or vice versa, Boulder's so-called "outdoor bums" agree that balancing a passion with obligations is tricky, but worth it. Most say their draw to nature is not a choice, but ingrained into their existence."

And how awesome is advice like this, I'm taking this and running with it:

"He [one of the dudes talked about in the article] also has advice for the 'outdoor bums': Making money is peripheral. The most important thing, he said, is to 'live with the rock' to stick with a city like Boulder, even if it gets pricey and you have to sacrifice luxuries.

'I don't care about a bank account or IRA,' Skinner said. 'My job translates almost purely to climbing time. ... That's payment that money value doesn't connect to.'


I did some wild bouldering myself this morning near the third flatiron, and it was awesome. All I could think of the whole time was how lucky I am to be alive and in nature as often as I am. Speaking of, now I'm off on my bike to take a dip in the Boulder Creek...And eat some lox and bagels. Love to you all, and come visit Boulder, it rules!!

Current book I'm reading: The Portrait of A Lady by Henry James, and I will read it by the creek, baby!
*** Thanks to for the pic!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, June 22, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    I love it here too, though I should take more of the Mts. in but oh well. You know me... It's so nice here right now though and I love it! I love it outside and on bike to work day I think I'm going to (bike that is) and enjoy this beautiful day.

    PS. My client's name is Jane and Reflections would be a nice name for that picture on my blog... but there was a meaning behind it. Jessie needs to comment cause she may rememeber.

    Later Lovely

     
  • At 8:45 AM, June 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While I appreciate that you enjoyed my photograph of the Flatirons, above, please be aware that your use of this photo is a violation of U.S. copyright laws. My photographs are a source of income for me, and they are not available for free use. Please email me via the contact info on my web site to discuss a fee for internet use of this photograph, or remove it from your site immediately.

    Thank you,
    Brent J Murphy
    www.brentmurphyphoto.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.