Favorite Wall in Austin for Blog 2

The Past is Still Recorded Online

This blog is out of use and out of date. I am now posting on mercedesorten.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Quote of the day, today.

"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it." ~Gabriel Garcia Marquez (with accents over the i and the a)


Today I almost fell off a mountain. I was hiking in left hand canyon around sunset right after I finished with work at the crazy home and I slipped while I was climbing up this rock. I did not get hurt, but this was a very harrowing experience for me, as I was alone and I didn't have my cell phone with me. I realized that though I am quite obsessed with hiking alone, I probably shouldn't do such dangerous hikes without a companion. The hike I chose was incredibly steep with even a few short scree slopes, so as you can see it was fairly risky. I think I'm getting somewhat risky in the mountains, thinking that I can attempt almost anything, and that is not a good attitude to have. Where is my humility? I'm glad I wasn't hurt. I calmed down when I got to the summit and was able to see the Indian Peaks and Sugarloaf peak. Additionally I went into the Boulder Creek afterward and took a short dip which cooled me off incredibly and made me feel fully relaxed. I think scrapes are hot, so I guess my legs are hot now.

Wish me luck on the next lone hike!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    Wow, that is crazy! You should for sure have your phone at least.. but I know you can handle anything. At least you are ok though because that would be really sad and so many people would miss you, myself included!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
I am a marathoner. That means I have a tummy that could sieze a spider.